A Day in the City

I had a rather uneventful travel day yesterday. I didn't have any delays, good seats on the plane, my flights got in on time--just the way I like my travel days to go. I am speaking at our church's women's tea at the end of the month and I got to spend a good couple of hours preparing for that--which was good and hard at the same time. I am going to be sharing more about our journey the last few years and any time I go "there", it is always emotional to dig around and examine those thoughts and emotions. At one point, I made myself just stop and get up and go to the bathroom on the plane because I knew that if I let myself, I could break out into some major sobbing and let's be honest, I didn't need to freak the entire plane out with that. It was good to redirect my focus towards not falling over on top of people and by the time I got back, I was able to continue working. As hard as it can be to revisit painful moments of our life, it is also encouraging to me when I can be reminded once again of God's infinite goodness to us. I have more work to do, but I feel like I have a good start at least.

Today, I slept in until 9:30!! I couldn't believe that I actually slept that long. I am not normally a late sleeper even without the boys to wake me up, but it was nice to just slowly wake up and take my time. I have a had a really nice day. I went and had a manicure and pedicure, ate lunch in Washington Square Park, then took the subway up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and spent a couple of hours there trying to decide who gets to decide what art is....I mean, some of it is obviously beautiful pieces of art. I love the sculptures by Rodin and there are tons of amazing paintings and the relics from Egypt and Africa are some obviously art. BUT, when I go through the modern art pieces, I just don't get why some of them are in this rather important art museum. Take for example, the large white canvas with two blue stripes down the side or the painted aluminum shelves...I just can't figure out why they were there and who got to decide that they were worthy of being displayed as works of art. Obviously, I have a long way to go in my appreciation of fine art! After the museum, I had grand plans to go to Crumbs and have coffee and a cupcake, but the one that I had directions to was closed and I was getting pretty tired, so I made a trip to our favorite spice store Penzeys and picked up a few things that I had been wanting. Now, I am back at our friends' house and looking ahead to tomorrow. I have an early doctor's appointment and then my plane back tomorrow afternoon.

One last thing, I have decided that I must watch way too much television--mainly 24, because when I was in the airport yesterday, I found myself being highly suspicious of anyone who came and sat down across from me and pulled out a laptop. If you watched this past season of 24, you know what I am talking about. I kind of got cracked up at myself when I realized that I was telling myself not to talk to anyone, because you never know what they might be up to! Whew! I apparently needed a good dose of reality! :)

Comments

Amy said…
It sounds like you are having a great trip! You really cracked me up with the 24 comparison. I so think the same way sometimes. Hope your appointment goes well. Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy

This guy

Africa Album