Wicked and other adventures

Micah and I went with his parents and another couple here in town to see the Broadway production Wicked last night.  It was so good and we really had a great time and I think that I have decided that this might actually be my all time favorite Broadway show, topping even Phantom of the Opera.  Last night was actually our third time to see it and so we felt like we picked up on several nuances that we hadn't noticed before.  For those who aren't familiar with it, it is supposed to be the back story or pre-quel to the Wizard of Oz.  It definitely takes some liberties with the story, but at the end of the day, it is a story of friendship between Elphaba (who would be known as the Wicked witch) and Glenda (the Good Witch).  There are tons of fun little details and little plot twists that I won't give away, but my favorite song is the final one that has these lyrics:
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

As I was pondering why this musical seems to resonate with me, I came to the conclusion that it is because I have been blessed with some very special friends throughout my life and I know that so many people have made an impact on my life and whether I see them again throughout this lifetime, I am thankful that they are part of my story.  If you ever have a chance to see Wicked, I highly highly recommend it.  

So, since we went to see that last night, we got home very late.  Our friends Jeremiah and April who have a little boy Mason about the boys' age watched the boys for us last night.  I think that it is a good sign when we get to their house to drop them off, they just look at us and start telling us to leave and when we come back to pick them up, they start crying.  It was midnight by the time we got home and then we had a meeting after church today, so everyone is pretty wiped out at the moment.  In fact, everyone but me is sleeping.  I am always scared to take naps because I have enough trouble sleeping at night.  

Tomorrow morning, I am heading back to New York for a follow up appointment on Wednesday morning.  Micah is going to have the boys to himself for a little while, so I am sure that by the time that I get back, he is going to have an even deeper appreciation for me and all the joy that comes with staying home with two 3 1/2 year old strong willed little boys!  The sweet kisses are completely worth it, but in the middle of a knock down all out battle of the wills, it isn't always easy to remember that.




Comments

LaCombe said…
Praying for a good report and a safe and good trip to NY. Enjoy your time away and Micah and the boys will bond and have so much fun! Love and Prayers, Kathy
from the song it sounds awesome...cant wait to see.
listgirl said…
Wicked is coming to San Diego too. Maybe I can get some tickets. I've heard it's good from some other friends too.

Hope your trip to NY is uneventful, and that the boys behave with Micah in charge!
Mary said…
I love the phrase "knock down all out battle of the wills." We experience that often with our girls, so it is nice to know we're not alone.

Popular posts from this blog

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy

This guy

Africa Album