Eating off the land

I mentioned recently that I have been experimenting a bit more in the kitchen and promised to share some recipes that I have tried recently. I have been loving having some produce from my own little garden, but I have enjoyed even more getting vegetables from my in-law's much larger garden. We have been bountifully supplied with zucchini and tomatoes and this week, we have even had fresh green beans twice. With the abundance of zucchini comes the inevitable question of what to do with it all, because one can only make so much zucchini bread. Micah isn't a huge fan of zucchini, so I have had to come up with some creative ways of cooking it so that he will eat it. Our favorite new way of enjoying the zucchini is to make a roasted vegetable and chicken dish and serve it over couscous. The boys actually really love "coo-coo" and they are getting better about eating all of the vegetables with it as well. So, last night as I was making it for what is probably the 5th time this summer, I decided to try my hand at a little bit of food photography and share my recipe on the ol' blog!

First, I chop 1 large zucchini (or several small ones) into 1-inch pieces, add 1 onion cut into wedges, 2-3 potatoes also cut into 1-inch pieces, add a bell pepper (whatever color you have on hand). Add all of the veggies to a large roasting dish and lightly toss.
Next, I drizzle 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with a good dose of salt, pepper and I used some of Penzey's Tuscan Sunset seasoning, but you could use any type of Italian seasoning. Toss again to distribute the seasoning and olive oil.


Then, I took out 3 chicken breasts, trimmed them and cut them into smaller, but not too small strips. and lay them on top of the vegetables. Then, I sprinkled with salt and Shallot-Pepper (Penzey's again), but you could use just plain salt and pepper and use more Italian seasoning on the chicken if you want.Bake for an hour at 350 degrees or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. This is what mine looked like:
Then, we just served it with whole wheat couscous and some fresh green beans and marinated tomatoes that I neglected to take a picture of, but let me tell you, if you have tomatoes, you will want to check out Paula Deen's recipe here, because it is so good!

I haven't been very good about keeping up with recording all of the funny things that the boys say, so while I am thinking about it, I am going to come up with a quick list.

Xavier's most often repeated sayings:
  • Hey, what's the big idea?
  • I love this, I love this so much!
  • Mommy, you the best!
  • Can I pray? (he is so religious, isn't he?)
  • I want to go to October! (I made the mistake of telling him that we were going to see his grandparents, great grandparents, and Camden and Rory in October and now he thinks it is a place to go to!)
William:
  • Wait to me! (still struggling with the whole preposition use!)
  • We-eeelllll....(this precedes almost everything he says)
  • I not pray today... (he is obviously not nearly so devout as his brother!)
  • I just went potty yesterday.
They are really into pretend play right now and are constantly having conversations with their animals, superheroes, whatever they happen to be playing with. It cracks me up to hear them down the hall saying, "come on, mom. come on, dad." I know that they are playing if they say mom or dad, if they really want one of us, they call us by our 'names'--mommy and daddy!

Today we are supposed to go to the zoo with some other moms and kids of Micah's classmates. It will be my first outing with this group and I am a bit anxious about it for some unknown reason. It is looking like rain, and so I can't decide if I would like for it to be rainy so we can skip it or if I really want to go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the recipe - I am always on the lookout for healthy dinner ideas. I am thinking about ordering the Penzey's spices - what others besides the Tuscan Sunset and Shallot Pepper do you use?
Melissa said…
So I'm guessing you won't be interested in my Dorito hamburger casserole after seeing your healthy gourmet dinner.
Amy said…
This was one of my favorite meals you cooked while I was there and it makes me want some right now! It was so yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
listgirl said…
Hi Becky - I enjoyed your last few posts quite a bit! We also get large amounts of chicken breast at Costco, then trim and freeze them. It's SO not fun! Growing your own vegetables seems so fun, but we don't have any place to do so. I was moved by your description of the mission conference and how you felt about it. Also, congrats on your two year anniversary. I would totally celebrate with you with pink cake if I were there!
Liz said…
I like zucchini bread a whole bunch if you want to make me some! :)

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Africa Album