my other sister

I had such a great week last week. I am pretty exhausted this week, but it was totally worth it. I picked Amy up at the airport on Tuesday night and I don't think that we really quit talking until I dropped her off yesterday morning. It is pretty amazing when you think about the fact that we haven't really seen each other in 9 years except for when they came to our wedding (not a great place to visit) and for about 2 hours 2 years ago when the boys were 14 months old (also not very conducive to visiting). We have talked on the phone sporadically and emailed occasionally, and we are pretty faithful reading each other's blogs, but other than that, it has been 9+ years. And, we have also decided that we are pretty much getting old because that means it has been 9+ years that we have been out of college.

At times, I felt badly, because our life is so crazy right now that she ended up just running errands with us a few days. I was extra busy trying to get things done for the tea on Saturday and working on getting things done for Micah and doing some work, but she was a trooper and we just talked and visited and laughed as we went. The boys loved Miss Amy and she was precious with them. She and her husband Mitchell gave us a gift card to have a date night while she was here so she watched the boys one night while we went out to dinner and she endured countless games of Candyland with them. I loved that she was so good at maintaining the expectations that we have of the boys and making sure that they ate their dinner and picked up their room. And it was nice to have a couple of hours with Micah. We are seeing so little of each other these days that it felt like we both talked 90 miles/minute the entire time.

I really don't know how to sum up my visit with Amy because as she left, my heart was just really full. It was just wonderful to catch up and talk about the important things in life, to share the good, the bad, the painful, the joyous, the mundane, the important, our hopes and dreams for the future, our love for the Lord, and the list could go on. It was a special visit and I am so thankful that we had the chance. And we promised each other that it wouldn't be 9 years before we spent some time together again and plan on keeping in much better contact.

We had several things that we wanted to do while she was here and I think that we got to do almost all of them. And here are a few pictures to prove it!

Amy enjoys cooking like I do and one of the things we wanted to do was have a baking day and as you can see, we did! We made Peanut Butter Muffins, Morning Glory muffins, Triple Cinnamon Pecan Biscotti, a Baked Banana Tart with Macadamia Nuts and Caramel sauce and we had to throw in the Chicken and Roasted Vegetables into the picture as well. (And yes, Amy is wearing the apron that says Becky!)

For some reason, this picture didn't turn out very well, and so I am hoping that the one with her camera turned out better than mine!
The boys got their Cubbie shirts and books at Awana this week and were quite excited about them!
A sweet picture of Amy with the boys when we went to visit the Tulsa Rose Garden
and had a picnic.
The boys and "Miss Amy" right before she left
Us with our deals! We made a Walgreens run on Saturday afternoon while the boys were sleeping and Micah was home. We got all of this in the picture for about $16 out of pocket. As you can probably tell from our laughing faces, we had a great time. It took us a while and there were a couple of little hiccups as we tried to get the best deals possible, but we were pretty pleased by the end.

The tea on Saturday went really well. I am sad that my camera battery needed to be charged and so I couldn't get any pictures of all the beautifully decorated tables. I am hoping that Amy will post some on her blog, so that I can link you up, because so many people were just so creative and they turned out really beautiful.

The title of the post....seriously everyone at church thought that Amy HAD to be my sister because we looked so much alike. Really there were very few who didn't say something to us about it. We got cracked up on Wednesday night because Amy was standing in the gym waiting for me and she said that someone from across the gym waved really enthusiastically at her and she is pretty sure that they thought that she was me since they seemed so excited to see her. Then, we remembered that when we were in college, we got those comments a lot as well. No relations, but I definitely think that our hearts our sisters. I am so thankful for her and her visit!

Comments

listgirl said…
Sounded like a great visit! We all need that someone who is LIKE a sister to us. What a blessing that you got to spend several days together. I love the gleeful look on your faces with your loot from Walgreens!
VERLA said…
What a wonderful post about a wonderful visit. I am so glad you had this time with her.

Popular posts from this blog

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy

This guy

Africa Album