Change of Plans

Written Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Well, today I was supposed to have been having my revision surgery in New York City.  Last night, Micah and I were supposed to have gone to see the Broadway show Mary Poppins at the New Amsterdam Theater and I was hoping to have eaten some John’s Pizza and maybe had a Crumbs cupcake or two by now and most definitely have gone ice skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park.  But, if you haven’t heard, the east coast got a truck load of snow dumped on them this past weekend wreaking havoc on many traveler’s plans.  We had originally planned to leave on Saturday from Oklahoma to come to my parents’ house in Illinois, but because of that same storm they were expecting some snow on Friday and Saturday, so we decided to come on Thursday instead.  We enjoyed spending a few extra days with them and were a bit anxious checking the weather  in New York, but I was feeling pretty confident that the storm systems would all be moved out before we arrived……until Saturday night when I checked our flights online and discovered that our flight from Minneapolis to New York had already been cancelled.  There was absolutely no getting ahold of the airline on the phone, all I heard was “All circuits are busy, please try again later.”  So, we loaded up and drove 10 minutes to the airport there in Moline and talked to a lady at the ticket counter who told me that the earliest they could get us to New York would be Monday afternoon at 3:45 which was no use because I had two appointments scheduled for earlier in the day and since it was the weekend, there was no one available  at the doctor’s office to see if he  would have been able to work me in later in the day in order to have the surgery the next day.  So, with a pretty heavy heart , I resigned myself to the fact that in spite of leaving for my parents’ house two days early, we still did not get to go to NYC, I wasn’t going to have my surgery, which meant that we will have to pay our deductible again next year whenever I can schedule it (and I honestly don’t know when that will be—with Micah’s schedule, childcare for the boys, and the fact that my surgeon is already scheduling into May and June next year).  Suffice it to say that I was pretty disappointed Saturday night and thus began Holiday Eating 2009—because you know we like to eat when we are disappointed, sad, frustrated, stressed!   My sister and her family are coming today and Micah and I were able to sneak out for a quick lunch date.   We have had a really nice visit and it has been really relaxing which is just what Micah needed and it has been wonderful visiting with my parents and brother and the boys are loving having some time at grandma’s house.

Comments

LaCombe said…
So sorry to read about missing your surgery, but glad you got to spend time with family and friends for Christmas, and it will work out for next year! God has his plans! Have a Very Happy New Year! Love, Kathy
joelsgirl said…
Oh, Becky, I am SO sorry. :( I wish I could be there to watch the kids for you so you could schedule your surgery asap. I hope that holiday eating made you happy and not fat. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy

Our summer

This guy