What I'm Reading

Remember that post back at the beginning of the year where I talked about goals for 2010?  Well, I am feeling pretty good about the reading aspect of those goals.  I have been trying to set aside a little bit of time each day just for shutting everything out and reading.  So, I thought I would share just a little about the books that I have been reading.

I know that I have mentioned this before, and it technically shouldn't count among this list, but I seriously just love it so much--The Jesus Storybook Bible.   It is absolutely precious.  We have made through for the first time and have already started it again.  I think one of the things that I love about it is how it doesn't really gloss over stuff.  It isn't one big happy story, this Bible we love so much.  Oh, the whole of the book is beautiful and good, but there are people in it and we as humans have not always obeyed God and because we haven't obeyed God, there are consequences.  But over and over, this is the phrase that is used to describe God's love:  "God's Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love."  I just think it is beautiful and I love that there is repetition to help cement it into their hearts.  And seriously, if you have children, I highly HIGHLY recommend this book.

I am also muddling my way through Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson.  I say muddling through because it isn't necessarily the easiest book to read.  Although I have a ton of respect for Dobson, I find his writing style a bit difficult to read.  The book has some good information, but I feel like the entire time I have been reading it, I vacillate between being just convinced that it doesn't matter what we do, our boys have no hope but to become horrible little men, or feeling like unless we homeschool, completely shelter them from the world, spend every waking moment devoted to teaching them what it means to be a boy, etc, they are going to end up that way as well.  And then, our chances are of them maturing into godly young men are basically shot because Micah is so busy with school right now and he is gone a lot and so we obviously think that Micah's education/career is more important than our children.  Which is also not true.  So, I guess I am saying that I know that there is a balance that must be found and I do think that he gives some really good information and cautions in the book and it has definitely made me stop and think about some things and evaluate where we are in the process.  Mostly, I just want to teach my boys to love the Lord, I want to shelter them from the evils of this world while at the same time helping them to recognize what is good, what is bad, and how we as believers/ Christ followers should strive to impact the world for God.

I have also just started reading Case for Christ.  I know, it has been out forever and forever, and I have always heard how good it is, just have never taken the time to read it.  I am only in the first couple of chapters, but it is definitely interesting and I think will be a good read.

I have been visiting a small group the last couple of weeks that is reading through the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  I have mentioned on here probably once or twice about this book, but I really do love it.  I have been enjoying reading through it again, hearing others' impressions of it, and this paragraph has been playing over and over in my mind the last few days:

"Are you willing to say to God that He can have whatever He wants? Do you believe that wholehearted commitment to Him is more important than any other thing or person in your life?  Do you know that nothing you do in this life will ever matter, unless it is about loving God and loving the people He has made?"


Finally, on Wednesday nights, there is a class that I am going to that is about Faith and Pop Culture.  We are going to be using a book put out by Christianity Today called Faith and Pop Culture (ironically enough :) ).  I am kind of excited about the class, I think it will be very interesting to study this a bit and I am sure that there will be some lively discussions.

Do you notice anything missing?  I distinctly remember saying I needed to read more for fun and so far haven't done much of that this year.  Maybe that will be one of the goals for April.  I am always up for recommendations though.

Comments

Monica said…
Curiosity question (and I've never read Dobson's book): what edition is it? I was shocked to find out he rewrote the book after his kids hit their teens.
Crazy Love is on my list of things to read at some point in my life.
Have you read "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tripp? Our church went through it on Sunday nights a few years ago. I liked some things about it and really disliked others.
As for fun reading, what category of books would you consider fun?
listgirl said…
we have several copies of "Case for Christ" at our house. Todd bought it all for our small group a while ago. I remember reading the beginning and then I don't know what happened.

That's a lot of heavy reading Becky, LOL. I would recommend "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". I just read it this year. Oh and are you on Goodreads.com? I can't remember if you were or not. You can get lots of recommendations from friends on there.
Amy said…
I've been wanting to read Crazy Love and haven't found it at the library yet. That paragraph is really convicting and now I know I really need to get that book!

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Africa Album