Go10--Day 76

 Well, I did it! I walked all ten miles in 95 degree heat pretty much in the middle of nowhere rural Oklahoma.  Oh and we managed to walk in less than 3 hours--I am saying about 2 hours 50 minutes.  I have to admit that at the last couple of miles I didn't know if I was going to make it and I just kept telling myself what I tell the boys to say, "I think I can, I think I can" except when they say it, it comes out as "I fink I can, I fink I can"...so quite naturally, that is what I was telling myself as I almost painfully put one foot in front of another, "I fink I can, I fink I can."  I was the only walker signed up to walk the third section and I had myself psyched up for it, but the day coordinator--a youth pastor from Oklahoma had mercy on me and decided to walk it with me.  I know that I could have done it alone, but I was very thankful especially towards the end that there was someone else out there with me.  They had support workers who followed along with us setting up pit stops with water, rags soaked in ice water, and gatorade.  I started out without a hat and at the first little stop, one of the support staff looked at me and said, "becky, how about a visor?"  After walking for 30 minutes or so without one, I gladly strapped one on, then at the next one, he says, "how about some sunglasses?" and he brought me some sunglasses.  He was doing his part to make sure that I made it as comfortably as possible.  The last couple of miles were kind of rough with a couple of good hills mixed in, and I really wondered if I was going to make it to the top, but I did.  Here are some pictures that one of the coordinators took and emailed me today:




at the start of the walk with the official Go10 car

after the first couple of miles

towards the end, rocking the visor and sunglasses, and very proud to have prayed for Robert and Judy

almost there!!!

being silly and hugging the flag--they told me it is what everyone had to do!!  Micah found this picture particularly funny on Facebook last night!


I am tired today, but not too horribly sore. I am sure my extensive (read the sarcasm) training that I have been doing made all the difference.  It was a really great experience and I felt very honored to have gotten to take part in it.  

I have more of a recap of it, but am off to take the boys and cousin Q to the splash pad.


Comments

Annette said…
Yay! I prayed for you today.

Can't wait to read more about it.
I just saw you on Facebook! :)
I think it is wonderful that you were able to participate!! I don't know that I would've made it in that heat for 10 miles! Wow.
I just saw you on Facebook! :)
I think it is wonderful that you were able to participate!! I don't know that I would've made it in that heat for 10 miles! Wow.
Anonymous said…
Love the last picture! You know I've always coveted your arm muscles :) Soo proud of you,
K
listgirl said…
What an awesome accomplishment Becky, especially in the heat! Great photos!
Lili said…
That's awesome, Becky!! Love that last photo too! :)
LaCombe said…
Very Proud of you Becky and sure wish I could have been there with you and done it! What a gareat cause as well. God Bless! Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy

This guy

Africa Album