Sushi Party

Several months ago, Micah and I bid at a silent auction for a private sushi party for up to 20 people.  It was honestly kind of a split second decision and we didn't really think we would win, but we did!  So, we finally this last week got around to planning and holding our party.  We asked his parents if we could hold the party at their house since it is much bigger than ours and would accommodate a larger group.  The last couple of weeks have held no end of me stressing out over the details of the evening....what we were going to serve to eat along with the sushi, how to decorate, what to drink, the details of how it would all go down, etc., etc.  This past week found me scavenging at all the Asian markets in Tulsa for ingredients for what I thought would be a good accompaniment to the fabulous sushi I knew we were going to have.  I taste tested a green tea ice cream recipe that was absolutely disgusting and a waste of perfectly good ingredients.  I made two different cucumber salad recipes and ended up with a combination of the two.  I spent much time on the phone with a couple of friends who even though they couldn't come were very helpful in talking me down from my 'ledge' of being stressed out as we talked through details.  Micah was busy with school and so I knew that I was going to be doing the bulk of the prep work for the party and he will tell you I was just a wee bit of  'crazy Becky', but in the end, it was fun, we had a great time, the sushi was amazing, I am pretty sure that everyone had a great time, and I learned a few things about hosting a party for 20 or so guests.  My friend Laurie told me to try not to stress out and to remember to take pictures.  I managed to take a few pictures (although not nearly as many as I wish I had, and thanks to Loren I had a few more than I would have without her!).

Much of the evening was spent like this, gathered around the kitchen island watching the chef:
20100828-20100828-DSC_2629

20100828-20100828-DSC_2628
I love how Bonita and Amanda are actually cheesing for the camera in this one!
20100828-20100828-DSC_2631
I was all about learning how to roll my own sushi! 
 great fun, but a little nerve wracking with everyone watching...
20100828-20100828-DSC_2639
Personally, I thought JJ's roll was one of the best of the night!
20100828-20100828-DSC_2650
and the evening's main event: the sushi!!  Greg, the chef from this restaurant, had prepared a TON of sushi ahead of time and then he brought the stuff to let us roll our own.  The ones on the far left of this picture are a specialty from the restaurant called a Drunken Monkey Roll (a.m.a.z.i.n.g)
20100828-20100828-DSC_2652
The spicy tuna roll on the front of this tray had sprouts in it and was one of my favorites!
20100828-20100828-DSC_2653
that tray on the right was the 'raw' tray and 
I was a big girl and tried the salmon and ahi rolls--both were pretty good.
20100828-20100828-DSC_2654
This is my friend Angela telling us how she is part Japanese, so this rolling of 
sushi just came to her naturally!
20100828-20100828-DSC_2659
Micah even got in on the act:
20100828-20100828-DSC_2664

20100828-20100828-DSC_2671

We seriously had so much fun.  There were lots of laughs and really good food, and honestly, can you go wrong with that?

Many thanks to everyone who came and made it such a fun evening!

Comments

Anonymous said…
By sheer chance I checked your blog and was very pleased to see you posted your party pic's already. You stressed for no reason it appears. It looks like it was really fun.
M
Anonymous said…
Yea for your sushi party! Sushi is good for you, too! Glad you all had fun!
Judy Bailey
Lili said…
Everything looks so yummy, Becky! Now I want to do a sushi party too. :) It looks like you all had a great time!
Amy said…
It looks like such a fun party! Glad everything went well. The food looks so yummy!!
OMG how fun does that look! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Popular posts from this blog

old friends

This guy

Africa Album