Weekend Recap

I think that my weekend is best summed up in this picture:


Micah has been spending so much time at school studying that the last two weekends the boys and I decided to make dinner and take to him and some friends at school.  Last week, Micah made the 'mistake' of asking me if I had baked anything for dessert when in all reality, I had actually just thrown some stuff into the crockpot for chili and took it down to him at school.  So, then, my inner/subconscious need to shine in the cooking department kicked in and so this weekend, I got a wild hare to make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes that a friend had posted on Facebook. 

It was kind of like a comedy of errors though.  First of all, I spent a really nice quiet Saturday morning curled up in the chair with William, my coffee and a book while the boys watched cartoons.  Then, mid-morning, we got ready, and went to 5 stores in 2 hours....yes, you read that right...five stores, two hours.  We got home and I worked on fixing the boys some lunch and starting the Chili Blanco recipe that I planned on making.  Basically, the entire meal had been planned around this bag of Great Northern White Beans that I just knew I had in the pantry.  Did you catch the "knew" part?  Yeah, because as it turned out, I only had about a cup of beans when I needed 3....apparently, I had gotten around to using those beans at some point.   So, back to the store we went.  Got home and continued working on the soup and made the chocolate chip cookie dough, got it into the freezer, did some more cleaning, started making the actual cupcakes and realized that, um....I only have 12 cupcake liners and the recipe is for 24.  Lucky for me, I have a mini muffin pan and I decided that improvisation was the way to go and we would be having regular cupcakes as well as mini ones.  I can't say that all of my cupcakes were pretty to look at, but they were quite good and very rich.  We decided that next time that I make them--and make no mistake, I will be making them again!--that I will make only the mini ones, because a big one is almost too much to eat.

We are having a revival at church this week, so the boys and I have been enjoying that.  Micah went with us yesterday morning and that has been pretty much his only break.  He is working so hard and I am so proud of him.  He still has a couple more weeks of tests before he really gets a break....{insert sad face here}.  It is hard on him and on us, but as I keep telling him, it is a season, and it won't last forever.

The LilyPad is hosting a layout contest this month and I decided to play along.  The prompt was past, present, and future.  It felt like it took me forever to make this page, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  I have no delusions of actually being a competitor in the contest because there are some amazing submissions, but it was a good challenge for me.  (I will copy the journaling after the layout so you don't have to strain to read it!)


Although we have only been married for almost eight years, we have known each other for fourteen years, that is almost half my life!  Many of those years together  have seemed to go by in a blur because you and I have been very busy in these life together.  There has always been something to look ahead to.....language school, France, the boys' ,moving back to the States, treatment, med school....now, we find ourselves looking to the end of  med school, where you will do your residency, and what the future holds.  But, right now, I keep finding myself wanting to stop, to remember this moment, because it is what we have RIGHT NOW...we will never have another just like it and I want to soak it in, because it is in the little everyday seemingly ordinary moments that the memories are made.....in these years together, we have faced some difficult moments...where we were scared, sad, grieving, overwhelmed...and it was in those moments, that was when we learned to take each other's hand, take a deep breath, whisper a prayer, and face the next second all the while wondering how we could make it...then those seconds turned into minutes turned into hours turned into days, and before we knew it, we had made it to the other side of of that moment.  Looking back, I see so many of those moments in our life together, and when you add them all up, there is a multitude of memories that is going to sustain us for the future. There is no way to know what our future holds, but I do know that we know that we know that we know that God is good, He is here with us, He walks the seconds, the minutes, the hours, and the days with us.  And those are the memories of our life together that I hold most dear and that I want our boys to know about. I love you, Micah, and thank God every day that He has given us memories to last a lifetime.

Comments

LaCombe said…
That is Beautiful! No other words, Just Beautiful! Love ya, Kathy
darla said…
You and your sis are so talented and creative! Keep up the great work!

Popular posts from this blog

old friends

This guy

Africa Album