One Thousand Gifts, March 14

I have been reading the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, the blogger who inspired me to start this list.  And I am telling you, it has been so so good.  She definitely has a different way of writing that isn't always easy to follow and isn't everyone's cup of tea.  But, for me, I have enjoyed it so, it has resonated very deeply with me and I have found myself reading portions of it over and over, pondering it, and going back to read it once again.  I am only about halfway through it, but have so been enjoying it.  One thing that she talks about is that the practice of naming gifts (the big, the small, the extraordinary, the ordinary) is a discipline that prepares our hearts for difficult moments/days when our gut reaction is not to praise, but to question.  But, if we have been in the practice of looking for His graces, His gifts throughout our everyday ordinary lives, then our knee jerk reaction is then to search, to find His grace in the moment of distress as well.  There are videos over on the (in)courage blog of the author and two other ladies discussing the book and I highly recommend them as well.

My continuing list:


264.        Quiet time
265.        31 Days of Prayer book
266.        realizing we paid our property taxes twice when we refinanced in December
267.        “a-ha” moments from my photography class
268.        my boys loving the fish I cooked last week
269.        making rainbows on the wall
270.        boys helping me empty dishwasher
271.        constant jabber/laughter of cousins
272.        making shadow puppets
273.        playing outside
274.        “ ‘safe?’ said Mr. Beaver…..’who said anything about safe? Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.’”—from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
275.        He is our shield (Gen 15:1)
276.        Open windows
277.        Birds chirping
278.        God’s presence in midst of tragedy
279.        Daffodils blooming
280.        Manicure/pedicure
281.        Lunch/reconnecting with a friend
282.        A ‘guys day’
283.        Sunday afternoon naps
284.        Baby pictures of my sweet boys
285.        Family that you want to be with
286.        Finishing reading a challenging book—Radical by David Platt
287.        Everything is grace, all is grace
288.        Daylight Savings Time=boys sleeping til 7:30 after weeks of waking at 6:30





I managed to scrap this last week:

Comments

Amy said…
I feel the same way about this book. I often have to reread sentences several times to fully understand their meaning. It truly is one of the best books I've ever read. I just finished chapter 8 and, oh my!, was it ever written for this worrier! It's one I need to read every day until I fully get it absorbed into this hard head of mine! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy

Our summer

This guy