Random

Last night, my Wednesday night ladies' group discussed chapter four from One Thousand Gifts entitled "A Sanctuary of Time" much of it focused on how we hurry through life, not taking time to really 'be' in the moment, to appreciate it as one that God has given to us, that He is here present in it.  My default seems to be that I want to hurry through, because I am always thinking ahead to the next task, the next thing to mark off of my to-do list, and so I hurry through the moments.  And as I sat down to write this post, I realized that the last few weeks since Micah has been out of school/studying, I have done some of both of those things. We have stayed incredibly busy (taking a trip, then trying to get caught up from missed work, a major purge from our house, etc.), and I have enjoyed these weeks immensely, but also have not taken the time to always be fully in the moment and just give thanks.  I am such a creature of habit and routine and when those things are taken away from me, I struggle to maintain balance.  So, this morning, I sat down and tried to get 'caught up' on my gifts list and I realized how even though I haven't had my notebook out with me so that I could capture every single 'gift' that I have been given, I am making progress in my effort to live aware of the moments in my life that point me back to the Giver of all good things.  And at the same time, I know that I have missed opportunities to be thankful, moments to savor because I haven't been intentional/disciplined about spending the time with God that I need to. 

My heart is heavy for my sister today.   She started her third cycle of chemo last week and it has been really really rough.  She is supposed to go back today for her last treatment of this cycle and she had a really difficult day yesterday.  There is obviously a huge physical toll on your body that chemotherapy takes, but there is a huge mental game that is played as well.  It is hard to psyche yourself up for going back to sit in a chair and get hooked up to an IV that you know is going to make you feel horrible.  And when she is already feeling so badly, I know that it must be even harder.  Praying for strength, comfort, and peace for her and her family today.

Have I mentioned how much I hate cancer?  Because I do.  It is touching so many people that I know and care for right now and I just long for the day when all will be healed.

Today is Micah's last day before heading to the hospital to begin his rotations.  It has been wonderful having him home and I am just thankful that we have had these weeks with him.  I hear lots of conflicting stories about what the coming months hold.  Some people say that rotations (the next two years) are so much better than classroom (the last two years) and then others say that life is just about to get even crazier.  I choose to keep my expectations low and hope to be pleasantly surprised.  So far, nothing has really gotten 'easier' about this med school thing, but that is okay.  If you have a good doctor, know that it took a lot of time, effort, and sacrifice for him (and his family) to get there and be thankful for them. 

Comments

Lacombe said…
Praying for your sister for strength and healing and for you Becky knowing what she is induring and the patience and strength you need to be so far from her. Love you! Kathy

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy