Christmas Eve

I am writing this while we still have 30 minutes before Christmas is officially here.    I just know that in the craziness of the next few days, I may have little to no time to blog and wanted to give a quick recap and share a few pictures from our evening.

The day started with Micah letting me sleep in while he got up with the boys which was a special treat in itself.  We managed to spend a majority of the day cleaning and organizing and doing laundry in preparation for the great Hale family invasion set to take place in T-minus 48 hours.  My parents and brother and my sister Melissa and her family (unfortunately, my little sister's husband works for UPS and they don't really let them take off around this time of year, so they aren't able to come) will all be arriving on Monday.  So, I am making some last ditch efforts to organize my house and get ready for their visit.  We went to my in-laws house tonight and celebrated with Micah's entire family being together for Christmas on Christmas for the first time in many many years. In fact, I don't think that in our entire married life (almost 9 years) have we been together on Christmas Eve and Day.  I made a birthday cake for Jesus and as I was making it and remembering just how good of a cake it was, I typed up the recipe to share.   I attempted some photos that were so unsuccessful, I can't even post them (which is saying something, because I do not always post perfect photos!).  But, here is the recipe.  My friend Kari made this for a bridal tea she held for me (9 years ago) and it has been one of my favorite cakes since. 

Awesome Triple Chocolate Cake 
(disclaimer, I don't know that it is technically called awesome, but I think it is so I added that in to the title!)
1 devil's food cake mix
3/4 c water
3/4 c oil
4 eggs
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding
1/2 c sour cream

Beat for 10 minutes
Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes in bundt pan or 25-30 minutes in mini cake pans.
Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a plate. When cool, sift powdered sugar over the top and enjoy!

Late this afternoon, we headed over to Micah's parents house where my mother in law had her table beautifully decorated for the evening:

We had soup and panini sandwiches, sang Happy Birthday to Jesus and had cake and many many goodies.  Then, it was time to read the Christmas story and open the first presents which were Christmas pajamas for all the grandkids.  Linda had looked long and hard for the perfect PJs and felt like she had found them when she discovered these for the youngest grandkids. 
 We are thinking they aren't going to get much wear out of them, but they were cute and they were thrilled to pieces with them!

And Grandma always wants a picture of the grandkids on the stairs:


We followed this up by opening a ridiculous amount of presents.  We are blessed and spoiled every year.  The kids had a great time and laughed and played and laughed some more. 

Linda's last request for the evening was the we spend some time playing games and their family used to play Pictionary and so that was the game of the evening.   We let the little guys play with us for a while, although they soon decided they would rather go and watch a movie.  We seriously had some hilarious times as we each attempted to draw and then to guess what others were drawing. 

This is the boys' cousin Q and while this isn't the clearest picture, I still love it because it completely communicates so much of his personality:

He was very intent on drawing his word and everyone had a great time guessing what it was:

The real laughs of the evening came from some of the adults attempts to draw things, like Micah's attempt at chimpanzee:

Let's just say that no one guessed correctly on that one! :)

We made it home around 9, unloaded the car and got the boys to bed.  Then, Micah had the great idea of unwrapping the Wii that we bought for the boys and getting it all set up and plugged in and then wrapping the box back up so that it would just be ready to go when we get up in the morning.  We are both pretty excited for them.  We have been talking for a while now about how we might be getting a Wii for Christmas, but that if we did, then that would be it, that would be our family's Christmas.  They were so funny tonight because they actually got a couple of Wii games for Christmas from their grandparents and we were coming home and William says that the only thing we were missing was that Wii 'box' (i.e. console).  They, for the very first time, walked by the tree and said, "i wonder if one of those presents is a Wii 'box'" which was followed up by, "I think that maybe we need to buy a Wii because it is going to take a really long time before Christmas comes again."  They are such sweet boys and I can't wait to see how excited they are when they realize that they do indeed get a Wii for Christmas. 

Okay, it is now one minute to midnight, so I am stopping.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Comments

Lacombe said…
What beautiful pictures! Many blessings for a Very Merry Christmas! Love, Kathy and don
Annette said…
How did the wii unveiling go? Levi was terribly disappointed to open a box of bath gel after his brother got a kindle fire. It was too funny! Thankfully, he opened his a few gifts later and all was good.

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Africa Album