TheDerbyDoos

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Weekend Stuff

I had grand plans to write a blog post on Friday because it felt like very productive day:
  • finished all my Christmas shopping
  • mailed off some gifts
  • mailed my Christmas cards
  • made some serious headway in a pile of paperwork
  • got caught up on personal insurance EOBs/bills
  • all of this on top of having an ultrasound of my gall bladder/liver that seemed to have shown nothing interesting(yay!) 
Then, I realized that none of that was actually very exciting and probably wouldn't make for very riveting reading and thus never made time to sit down and type up a blog post.  

Yesterday was  Toys for Tots and my first time to get to work the actual event. Seriously amazing.  I don't know the exact numbers, but I know that there were close to 450 families registered (many with multiple children) and that we had an army of volunteers close to 400 strong.  I arrived at the church around 11 and left sometime between 5 and 5:30 completely exhausted, but also pretty exhilarated after serving countless cups of coffee and cookies to our volunteers and guests.  God definitely worked out so many details for the event and it was great to see our church come  together for such a great opportunity to share the Gospel in our community.

This morning was the Christmas choir program at our church's north campus (we are a multi-site church and Micah's parents and brother and family go to the north campus, while we go to the south) and so we headed north to hear Micah's mom and sister in law in the choir.  I really don't have words to describe how much I enjoyed it.  I am just so loving Christmas music this year and while all the songs weren't necessarily 'Christmas', they definitely were about who Jesus is...our Savior and Redeemer.  The boys for their program had memorized the passage from Isaiah that says, 'and He shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.' and I loved seeing Xavier sing along with the choir when he realized they were singing 'our verse.'  William sat on my lap and swayed to the music the entire program asking me periodically about when they were going to sing about the wise men. 

At the very end after singing "Mary, Did You Know?" and "Jesus, Blessed Redeemer", the choir moved into a portion of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah .  I remember when I was a child (probably elementary age because it was while we were still living in Missouri) and I went with my mom to a community choir's performance of Handel's Messiah and the tradition is to stand for the Hallelujah chorus and I have this memory of standing next to my mom and looking up at her and seeing tears stream down her face as she listened to the music.  I remember as a child not really understanding why she was crying, but I tell you that today, I understood.  I stood with the congregation and listened to words and music composed so many years ago and I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face. 

King of Kings, forever and ever
and Lord of Lords, forever and ever
And He shall reign for ever and ever. 
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah.
I am still feeling like a weepy mess just writing about it.    It was really powerful.

This afternoon, I am setting up a cake ball factory.  I am making red velvet and chocolate--yes, I know that red velvet is basically chocolate, but red velvet gives us an excuse to use cream cheese icing instead of just regular buttercream.  I have not been as productive as a baker as I normally am this time of year, so I guess I am trying to make up for it a bit by making two kinds of cake balls.  I will be sure to take some pictures of the finished product!

Hope your Sunday is blessed today as we continue to celebrate His birth. 

1 comment:

one of nettie's girls said...

Just reading your account of listening to the Hallelujah Chorus gave me chills. Powerful words.