TheDerbyDoos

Monday, January 16, 2012

Birthday Fail, Take 2

It has been a week at our house, let me tell you.

We spent Tuesday and Wednesday of last week staying in as Xavier recovered from his little stomach bug.  The boys went back to school on Thursday and we thought all was returning to normal.  Friday night, the boys were spending the night with their grandparents and Micah and I were supposed to go out for dinner and a movie to celebrate our anniversary that is coming up this week.  Unfortunately, Micah woke up with the stomach bug on Friday, which obviously put our date night on hold.  But, I was still making plans for the boys' birthday celebration that we were supposed to have on Saturday.  They wanted to go to Ollies for a little celebration with our family that lives locally and they had put in requests for a Green Lantern cake (Xavier) and a Lego cake (William). 

I managed to find inspiration online for their cakes and set out to make them.  For William,  I found this  cake and instructions that honestly didn't seem too overwhelming to me, but let me tell you, it takes an inordinate amount of food coloring to make primary colored icing and an inordinate amount of arm strength to mix in food coloring to small amounts of icing.   I spent a good three hours on Friday night making attempts at icing their cakes and trying desperately not to end up on a cake wrecks blog.  I finally finished up and just decided that I was going to be happy with them and be hopeful that the boys would be happy.

I woke up Saturday morning to a phone call from my mother in law telling me that William had been throwing up. 

score.

To be honest, I spent the next few hours trying to figure out what to do with the cakes, when we could plan to have their celebration, etc.  But, in the end, we just decided to show them their cakes when they got home, let Xavier eat some of his on Saturday and see how William was doing on Sunday and just let them open their presents.  So, when they got to our house, we covered their eyes and took them into the kitchen and showed them their cakes and this was their response:

They were so sweet and the hugs and the 'I love it, this is what I have always wanted' comments completely made the three plus hours I spent the night before completely worth it.  Later, as Xavier was having a piece of his cake, he got this little smile on his face, looks at me, and says "I just love my cake. Thank you for making it for me, mommy."  Yes, my heart just melted.  Sweet sweet boys.  Oh, would you like to see my fancy cakes?


For the life of me, I couldn't figure out a great way to photograph them.  Do you like my foil covered pans for the display? 

We spent the day watching movies, playing the Wii, and taking naps.  And that is also how we spent yesterday, because I woke up with a very queasy stomach myself that persisted all day long until about 8 last night.  Fortunately, everyone seems to be on the mend today.  Micah headed back to work and the boys and I spent the day doing laundry and checking things off of a list of things that they could do today.  It was beautiful weather, so we headed out for a walk (this was on our list!) and ended up at the playground.  I took a ton of pictures and didn't think I had gotten any good shots, but sat down tonight to upload/process/delete (which is my new daily photography goal) and decided that I just might have gotten a few keepers and decided to add them to a template that was included in my template set that I am using for P365:

I probably had 60 photos of them going down the slide like that and in almost every single one of them Xavier's mouth was wide open like that.  They had so much fun! 

So far, staying current on my P365...yes, I realize this is just week 2, but I am taking every small victory I can!


4 comments:

Monica said...

Great job on icing the cakes! I don't know if you have a local store that sells Wilton products, but they actually make food coloring in primary colors (a variety of colors, actually). You only have to dip a toothpick into the paste and then place it in the frosting and stir. It's that strong!

Christine said...

Love the cakes!!! And you got some awesome playground shots! I find the playground hard... so much movement, so much "background clutter," but you did SO GOOD.

Vicky said...

Yes, I'd say that was quite a week! Your cakes look professional- no joke, they are awesome! The look on their faces is priceless. You're right- totally sweet boys- savor it!! Flu-bugs and all :)

listgirl said...

Oh no, sometimes the best laid plans don't pan out like we want them to! So sorry that everyone got the stomach bug! But your cakes look amazing and all the time you spent making it was worth it, judging from the look on the boys faces and their sweet words!