TheDerbyDoos

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Recap, part one

Yes, it has been long enough since I have blogged that I am now feeling like there is going to have to be a multiple part recap edition.  We have had a full couple of weeks--some good stuff, some not so good stuff, but it has just meant that either I wasn't spending time on the computer or I was electing not to blog. 

The biggest thing going on right now is that Micah left this past Friday to participate in a medical mission trip in Cote d'Ivoire in West Africa.  He along with his parents and another friend from medical school left a few days early so that they could make a stopover in Paris.  I am happy that he has the opportunity to go, but I am not going to pretend that it didn't make me a bit sad when I thought about the sights that he was going to get to see, the pain au chocolat that he was going to eat, the smell of the bread from the bakeries that he was going to experience.  Yesterday, they arrived in Burkina Faso and right now they are currently on a bus driving in to Ivory Coast.   I am so excited to hear about his experience and am praying for his safety and for all that God is going to accomplish through this trip.

After a busy couple of weeks, the boys and I spent the weekend pretty much holed up at home trying to decompress and relax a bit.  I tried to get caught up a bit on my project 365 photos, but had forgotten to get a couple of pictures off of Micah's phone, so I wasn't actually able to finish up the pages that I wanted to.  I attempted to scrap, but it literally took me the entire weekend to finish one page. I feel like I have forgotten how.  I have been trying to go through my extensive Lightroom catalog of pictures and delete bad photos or at the very least remove them and determine what to do with what I am keeping.  I am feeling hopelessly behind on memory keeping, although I am hoping that I may have made a decision about how to move forward on that and get caught up.

Other news is that I am definitely losing my job that I have had for the last almost three years.  It has been such a blessing having a job that allowed me to work from home and that has been so flexible.  While I haven't always loved my job, I hope that I have always been thankful for it, because it has provided so much for our family.   It looks as if my job will continue through May and I am in the process of trying to make decisions about what the best thing for me to do will be.  We are doing lots of praying and trying to practice trust.  I am grateful that there are opportunities available to me, it is just trying to make the right decision for our family.  I have been texting Micah each morning at breakfast with little messages from each of us. (sidenote: how amazing is technology that I can send a text to Micah anywhere in the world and he can get it?  and as long as he isn't texting me back, it doesn't cost anything)  So, the other morning, I was just telling him I was praying for his day and for the trip and that God would use it to help us know what His plan for us was and I was reminded of the Scripture from Isaiah 25:1 that our family has clung to for over five years now that says "Oh Lord, You are my God, I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name: for you have worked wonders.  Plans formed long ago with perfect faithfulness."  By the end of the text, I had tears streaming down my face and two little boys who were trying to figure out what was up with their mama.  But, it was just such a good reminder for me.  We have a lot of unknowns in our life right now between my employment possibilities, Micah's rotations/residency options, future stuff.  But, I know that God has a plan for us, and it is a good plan.  And if I can just take a minute and practice remembering all the times that we haven't known what was going to happen and how looking back, I can see clearly that He was there, that He provided, that He didn't waste any of those difficult experiences.   When I do that, my heart calms, and I can face what is ahead. 

Well, I think that is enough for today.  There are other recaps in the making...the sister edition and the thankful edition.

The last two pages from January:


4 comments:

Vicky said...

You have blessed me so with your words! Thank you- I so needed to read them and feel honored to do so. I can only imagine not only having your hubby doing wonderful things without you, but also the extra demands of parenting alone for days on end :) So now I will pray more specifically for His perfect plan and timing to become known to you and to quiet the unease you feel about the future.

I just glanced down at the word verification and its "untie" Untie from the worry is flashing through my head right now :)

thehsmomof3 said...

Love His perfect faithfulness! Praying with you, Becky.
-Sherri

LaCombe said...

Missed dyou and miss reading your blog when you don't post! You inspire me everyday I read it.
Praying for your decisions and I know God will provide and you will make the right decision. Prayers and Love to you and your family. Kathy

one of nettie's girls said...

Thank you so much for the terms :practice trust" and "practice remembering"! Sometimes I get the idea that if I am not doing those perfectly I might as well not try. It IS a practice... something I need to keep doing even when I feel like a failure or like I am not hitting the mark. Bless you for bringing that to me today.