TheDerbyDoos

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ten on the Tenth

Yes,  I am fully aware that it is now the eleventh, but I had this grand idea to attempt to do a list of ten random things on the tenth of each month and never sat down to do it yesterday, so here we are.

  1. I keep getting asked how we are surviving without Micah.  We are doing good, we miss him, but I am choosing not to think about how long it is until he gets back because it is still longer than he has been gone.  Mind over matter.
  2. Last night, the boys spent the night with their cousin and I went to dinner with two other ladies whose husbands are on the same trip as Micah.  It was a sweet time of fellowship. 
  3. If I let them, my boys would spend all day every day talking to me in detail about their Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars video games.  I try to listen, but I don't know if it is possible to be less interested in a subject.
  4. Playing the Wii is an action sport for the boys.  They spend almost the entire time jumping up and down in non stop motion the way that they want their characters to move.  It is not unusual for Xavier to be completely hot and sweaty after 30 minutes of playing.
  5. I have been going in once a week to the boys' classroom for an hour to help listen to students read.  It is sweet to see them in their school element and to meet their classmates.  But (you knew there was going to be a 'but', right?)  I feel like I need to completely disinfect after leaving.  The amount of sniffing and sneezing and coughing is unbelievable, it kind of seems like a small miracle that my boys haven't been sick.
  6. Some of my favorite recipes that I have been making:  pumpkin bread, turkey rice soup, and baked penne (I have made this a couple of different times in the last month to take as meals to friends and it has been a huge hit...I actually use my own spaghetti sauce that has meat in it in place of the meat and jarred sauce).
  7. Last year at this time, we were piled under a LOT of inches of snow and sub-zero temperatures.  Today is actually the coldest day it has been this winter and we have had practically no snow and mostly warm weather, although we are rumored to be in for some winter weather Sunday night and Monday.
  8. In December, I read 5 Conversations You Must Have with your Sons and loved reading a parenting book geared specifically toward boys.  Other than Bringing Up Boys, does anyone have any other boy parenting recommendations?
  9. I watched videos this past month of two women who were shaving their heads in preparation for hair loss from chemo.  In this one, I shed tears because it literally brought back so many emotions from my own experience almost five years ago.  In this one, what struck me was the look in her husband's eyes...pain, pride, sadness, trying to be brave...unfortunately, it is a look I have seen way too often.  
  10. At this time next year, Micah should be finishing up his LAST rotation and we should be finding out where he matched for his residency.  Someone asked me yesterday if it seems possible that he is that close to finishing because it seemed like it had gone so fast.  I feel that way and I don't.  Somedays, I feel like we have been in med school forever and other days that day I cried in Target seems like just yesterday.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I loved reading both of your recap posts. It sounds like you and Melissa had such a special time together! I wish I lived closer so I could have joined in for at least one lunch together!

This 10 on 10 is a great idea. I know exactly what you mean about needing to disenfect after being at school. Elementary schools are complete germ factories! :) I don't have any boy book recommendations but would love for you to let me know if you get any good ones. I can't believe how close Micah is to being done and can't wait to see all God has in store for your family!