Spring Break

So far, our spring break has been characterized by massive amounts of rain.  We had beautiful weather all of last week and there is beautiful weather in the forecast for next week, but this week?  Not so much.  We have had at least 4 inches of rain in the last 48 hours and more predicted for the next 48.  While this has put a bit of a damper on our spring break plans, we are still having fun.  The boys are actually sleeping in a bit later than their normal 7 AM and we are doing lots of reading, puzzles, games, and coloring mixed in with the occasional Wii game and television show.  I am reminded over and over again how sweet it is for them to have a playmate.  For the most part, I am not sure if they would notice that I was gone except for the fact that they get hungry approximately three times a day!

Yesterday, they spent the afternoon with their grandparents having lunch, bowling, and getting ice cream--not a bad way to spend the afternoon!  It also worked out for me, allowing me to go to the grocery store alone and also spend about 45 minutes in the AT&T store while a man worked on restoring my phone.  I did a software upgrade about a month ago and it has not worked correctly since then.  I had been putting off going in because I knew that it was not going to be a short trip.  Fortunately, I walked out with my phone seemingly in good working order, I didn't lose my contacts or my photos, but realized last night that my calendar didn't save....which in theory shouldn't be that big of a deal except for the fact that about 6 months ago, I completely quit using a regular calendar and started just adding everything to my phone.  I am just going to go ahead and be thankful that I didn't lose everything and will be following the advice of the helpful phone guy and get some sort of memory card for my phone.

I have scrapped a couple of pages and am continuing to go through my pictures from the last several years and am feeling a bit overwhelmed about how to actually go about getting them organized and printed.  I am trying to be good about pairing down and also throwing a ton of photos on one page, but it is still feeling way overwhelming to me.  I am determined to find some sort of internal compromise on the whole deal though because we have been getting out old scrapbooks lately and the boys and I have so much fun going back through them and remembering that I can't just not do it.  Here are a couple of pages from late 2006 and early 2007:



It is an odd experience going back through old photos though.  The picture above of us with our friends Amy and Mitchell was taken a little more than a month before my diagnosis.  I find myself just staring at the pictures from then and wondering how we could have been so clueless about how our lives were going to change.  I felt healthy and good and happy.  Yet, unbeknownst to me, I had a 4.7 cm cancerous tumor growing inside of me.  I feel the same way about family pictures from just over a year ago with my sister and while she had been having some health issues, no one could have guessed or suspected the way their lives would be changed.  It kind of makes my heart hurt, to be honest.  Some days, I want to go back to the 'not knowing'.  In my heart of hearts, I know (and hope that I can always choose to recognize) that God has worked good from the hurts of the 'knowing', but from time to time, I find myself grieving that loss...if that makes sense. 

Comments

thehsmomof3 said…
Becky, you're right that it is always right, good and helpful to see God at work in the broken areas of our lives. Hope! Peace! Yet I do understand the angst of seeing reminders of life before. I find those photos, stories, and reminders painful too...sometimes more than others. I find there is an odd mix of grief for today, thankfulness for God's care and redemption, trust in his hand, and a sweet longing for heaven. I'm with you, girl! =)
-Sherri
thehsmomof3 said…
Becky, you're right that it is always right, good and helpful to see God at work in the broken areas of our lives. Hope! Peace! Yet I do understand the angst of seeing reminders of life before. I find those photos, stories, and reminders painful too...sometimes more than others. I find there is an odd mix of grief for today, thankfulness for God's care and redemption, trust in his hand, and a sweet longing for heaven. I'm with you, girl! =)
-Sherri
LaCombe said…
So right, no one knows what tomorrow brings but our Father, and I choose him to lead me daily, no matter what the outcome. Because with God in our lives,we get through our storms and see the sunshine of life with Him, today tomorrow and always! Blessings and Prayers to you and your family. You are a blessing to me! Love, Kathy

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Africa Album