It's officially summer

Because the boys were gone for a couple of days last week on a Branson trip with their grandparents, I have felt like this week was our official start to summer.  It is already ridiculously hot here and yesterday it quickly became apparent that we were going to need to have some sort of summer programming.  We have been hard at work making a summer bucket list that includes things from making Pioneer Woman's Purple Monster Smoothies to flying kites to staying up until midnight.  Here is hoping that we can enjoy each day because 'the days are long, but the years are short'. 

This morning we headed out with some friends to pick blueberries at a farm south of Tulsa.  I think I was more interested in the actual gathering of berries, but it was a fun morning.  William was actually my most devoted berry picker--although, he was much more interested in picking the blackberries rather than blueberries.  He was able to find a quart or so of mostly ripe blackberries.  I will definitely take him back for blackberry season because of all the kids, he was the most persistent and showed the most interest in finding berries. 

This afternoon, their grandma took them bowling along with their cousins, then we spent a bit of time visiting with a friend and her daughter, bought a few water guns at the dollar store, came home and spent some time soaking each other in the back yard, finished up with getting hair cuts (I totally buzzed their hair off, pictures tomorrow!), putting them to bed, and then chatting with my neighbor over the fence for 45 minutes. 

I have decided that my mantra this summer is to 'attempt' to not get stressed out by life, to say yes to the boys when I can, to play with them, and to enjoy life....they are only 6 1/2 once.

A few pics from our day:
William and his desire to ONLY pick blackberries, regardless of the fact that there were very few that were actually ripe, but he totally searched out the ripe ones!

The chicken coop was the real draw for the kids :)

Good buddies!
And Xavier having some fun with the water gun I got at the dollar store, I am pretty sure I am heading back there to get a few more of those:



Hope your summer is off to a good start!

Comments

the red pumpkin said…
Love your mantra...I need to make that mine too!
I also love the pictures of the boys reading. How wonderful that they love to read!
Christine said…
Looks like your summer is off to a great start!!!

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Africa Album