TheDerbyDoos

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Second Saturdays

Earlier this summer, the boys and I made a "Summer Fun List" (that I thought I posted, but can't seem to find anywhere, so I will post it at the end of the post).  One of the things on the list was visiting a local museum--the Philbrook--on their monthly free admission day (otherwise known as Second Saturday).  I had heard that it was a great time to take the kids because they have stations set up for them and activities.  So, Micah got up early on Saturday and spent a good chunk of the morning studying while the boys and I lazed around the house.  He came home and picked us up and we went and used a Groupon that I had bought for Ollie's and then headed over to the museum.  I have driven by the neighborhood that it is in countless times but had never actually driven down the street.  It is a beautiful area and after looking around inside and picking up the boys' free art boxes, we headed outdoors to see the gardens and check out the Creature Scavenger Hunt.


20120714-DSC_7359.jpg

it was seriously beautiful...

20120714-DSC_7362.jpg

here is the view back up toward the house: 20120714-DSC_7364.jpg

and a little bit further down the garden: 20120714-DSC_7368.jpg

Micah trying diligently to figure out where the creatures were hidden while I attempted to figure out my settings: 20120714-DSC_7377.jpg

And me with the boys...this was as good as it got--at least we were somewhat in focus in this one: 20120714-DSC_7382.jpg

After finding all of the garden creatures, we went back inside where they had a huge art room where you could do rubbings of bugs and flowers.

William hard at work:
20120714-DSC_7390.jpg

Xavier:
 20120714-DSC_7403.jpg

even Micah getting in on the action: 20120714-DSC_7398.jpg

 20120714-DSC_7407-2.jpg

we thought these paints were really cool: 20120714-DSC_7400.jpg

We actually all came home with some artwork that I think would be fun to frame. Great memory and super fun time at the museum. We are definitely planning to go back!

 Our Summer Fun List: 

We still have a few things to check off, but we are definitely moving right along on it!

3 comments:

thehsmomof3 said...

Im so glad the four of you had such a terrific day. The Philbrook is a beautiful museum, but I've always LOVED the grounds most of all. The panoramic views down to the smallest flower...mmmm...fills my cup. You've reminded me to go back again soon. Thanks!
-Sherri

Vicky said...

I love how intentional you are with your time and planning of things. We have more of a mental list and fly by the seat of our pants, but I wonder if we'd broaden our horizons a bit if we actually made a list? What a great idea!

The boys look like they truly enjoyed the experience and what a great way to spend family time! The place looks beautiful!

LaCombe said...

What a Beautiful, Blessed Family that I love very much! I know I never really got to know you, but these posts make me feel like I do!
continued Prayers and Love to you and your family! When in Florida please let us know and we can meet some where. Have a wonderful Day! Kathy