Beautiful words

It has been an on-again/off-again journey for me reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to Xavier and William. I won't say exactly how long we have been reading this exact book, but let's just say we got off track when they started kindergarten and summer didn't really get us back on track.  I finally read the last chapter to them on Monday night and ended up a weepy mess as I read the last few pages.  There is just something about the way that C.S. Lewis writes that is so achingly beautiful to me.  I get the biggest lump in my throat every single time Aslan comes into the picture.  The boys are used to it, they just come over and give me a hug and a little grin.  The end of this one was just particularly poignant to me and I had to share.

A little context:  Lucy and Edmund and Eustace are getting ready to return to their world from Narnia and Lucy wants to know how to come back:

"'Oh, Aslan,' said Lucy. 'Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?'

"'I shall be telling you all the time,' said Aslan.  'But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river.  But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder.  And now come; I will open the door in the sky and send you to your own land."

Then, Lucy wants to know when they are going to make it back to Narnia and when Aslan responds that she won't be coming back to Narnia, this is her response:

"It isn't Narnia, you know,' sobbed Lucy.  'It's you.  We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?'"

Yes, how can we live?  I love the symbolism that Lewis uses.  And as I tearily re-read those passages again to Micah, I just told him how the older I get and the further along in my own journey with the Lord, the more I see the symbolism and I feel that emotion about my God.  I love that we can find truth and things that point us to God even in literature.

Speaking of other beautiful words, there are two posts by Ann Voskamp on giving thanks that I love:
&

I am totally planning to use some of those ideas in my Bible classes this year. 

I am still loving teaching. It is an adventure, but I think it is going to be a good adventure.

Maybe someday, I will also have time to edit photographs.

Comments

thehsmomof3 said…
I, too, love that rich and deeply meaningful symbolism. Now I think I might need to pull Lewis back off the shelf again. =)
-Sherri
Amy said…
I love CS Lewis! You are making me want to start the Narnia books again! Can't wait until I can read them to Lukas!

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy