Before I forget....

The boys and I arrived home last night and were met by some insanely hot weather (and also Micah who was more than happy to have his wife and boys home!).  We enjoyed beautiful and fairly mild weather while in Illinois and it was like meeting a wall of heat as we drove into Oklahoma.  As I passed the high school right by our house, their sign said that it was 131--those signs always read higher than actual temperature, but that kind of gives you an idea of the misery that is our weather at the moment. 

We have our friends Shane and Joy coming in tonight to spend a few days with us before leaving for France later this month and then I am going to be in full on lesson planning/class preparation mode, so I know that my blogging time will be limited and I just wanted to post a few things here about our trip before life gets too crazy.  There won't be any photos, because I am not going to have time to upload and edit, but mostly I just want to remember.

I don't even know where to start.  My eyes are brimming with tears as I think back on the good times with my family.  There are just days that my heart is so incredibly full with the blessing of my precious family.  There was laughter, tears, food, craziness, Olympic viewing, horseback riding, nature walks, sidewalk chalk contests, a wiener roast and much more. 

Some quotes from the week from William (he seemed to be the 'quippier' of the two this week:
  • as we passed into Illinois (from Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa):  "Yay!!! I just feel like I am going to burst out into tears of joy!"
  • watching the Olympic divers:  "um, why do they have such short swimming trunks....they look like underwear!"
  • later...."when I am a diver, I am going to wear regular swimming trunks"  (good plan, buddy!)
Whitey's Ice Cream is a tradition from growing up and Melissa and I managed to eat it 3 different times--which we are pretty sure is a record for us.

I don't even know how to recap the Living Proof Live event.  It was a very sweet time of worship with 5000 other women and then Beth Moore's teaching was powerful and very encouraging.  Her key verse for the weekend was from 2 Chronicles 36:23 "May the Lord your God energize you who belong to His people so you may be able to go back there."  I definitely think that we left energized to trust God more, to love Him more, and to worship Him more.  I appreciate so much Beth's love and adoration for our Lord and His Word.  She makes me want to know Him more.  Have I mentioned how much I love that I was able to go with my mom and sister? 

The boys totally love being at my parents' house--playing in the barn, seeing newborn kittens, having soccer games in the backyard with their cousins, playing with Uncle Matt, riding the horses, helping feed the horses, wearing my dad's baseball caps.  I can't even begin to express how precious it is to see my dad enjoy his grandkids and play with them.   Their week even included a trip to the Sale Barn to help my dad get hay--sweet memories.

I am also so thankful for the way my family comes alongside of me to help me with the boys when I have to make trips without Micah.  Melissa's husband Brian let me bombard him questions about teaching, in addition to willingly corralling  the kids so that Melissa and I could run errands one morning.  They even help me talk through consequences for bad choices for the boys. 

As always, the time goes by too quickly and the time to say goodbye came yesterday morning.  So thankful for sweet times together....it fills me up and makes me eager for the next time.

Comments

Christine said…
It sounds like an absolutely wonderful time!
Annette said…
Loved the swimming trunks comments. Lol!

I'm so glad you got to spend that precious family time together.

Thank you too for your email. So far so good....
Amy said…
Sounds like such a wonderful time together! I am so excited for you as you begin your new job! Praying that everything goes smoothly during the first few weeks. They can be a crazy time!

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy