TheDerbyDoos

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

For the record...

My life in a list:

  1. I go back to school tomorrow--inservice for teachers, the boys get a whole extra week before reporting for duty.
  2. I am feeling a bit split personality about 'la rentrĂ©e' (the official French term for the return to the classroom).  On one side, our little family is desperately ready for the routine that school brings, on the other side, I well remember the incredible amount of stress and pressureI felt those first few weeks (or months) of school.  And the time it takes to make it all come together.
  3. To be honest, the days have been long recently. Micah is working from long before we wake up and rolling in around 8-9 PM most days.  The good news is he is loving his job. To be sure, he has moments where I think it overwhelms him, but every single night, he has told me how great his day has been.  As much as we miss him (and the boys are desperately missing him these days), it does my heart much good to know that he is thriving (as I knew he would) and learning so very much.  In the 'longness' of the days, I am reminded again of the quote from Gary Thomas in Sacred Parenting "the days are long, but the years are short".  Case in point:
Check out those little round faces, the baby teeth (confession:I kind of miss those baby teeth sometimes), they sure have grown up in the two short years since this trip to Robber's Cave State Park



4.  I have been in a mad dash these last few weeks to get our summer recorded, get caught up on my PL albums and some other memory keeping endeavors. I am current on PL (yay!), but didn't quite get as far as I had hoped in my other projects. But, I think that i have it organized in such a way that I can go in and spend a few minutes at a time on it and see progress being made. It feels so good to take piles of stuff (that we couldn't throw away), but that no one ever went through to putting it into albums in a way that it is easily accessible.  Reliving the good days has been good for my soul.

5.  Tonight, in a last ditch effort to  make meal prep and planning a bit easier on myself over the next couple of months, I embarked on some freezer meal cooking.  The only problem is that I left the house to grocery shop around 6ish and didn't get started cooking til close to 7:20.  I made Pioneer Woman's Chili (x2), Sour Cream Noodle Bake (x2), Sloppy Joes, and also managed to make the Black Bean and Corn Salsa Chicken (x2) from this blog post.  This is in addition to finding a great deal on boneless skinless chicken breasts at Aldi for 1/2 off.  They were already 1.89/lb and then 1/2 of that.  I just broke it down into smaller portions and froze it.  Unfortunately, I underestimated the fact that you can't just throw piping hot meat into the freezer and so I am currently waiting on the last few things to cool a bit so that I can actually count them as freezer meals.

6.  My schedule this year at school is going to be a bit more involved. I am teaching all French and one Bible.  French 1, French 2, an adult French class each day (which may end up being 2 separate groups), and a 5th or 6th grade French each day.  5th and 6th grade only have their electives once a week, and between the two grades, I will have five classes.  

7. I feel like my ability to write coherently is waning, so I probably should head on to bed.  Happy end of the summer. Hopefully, I will still find the occasional time to blog.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Becky, thanks for the update!
Gma E

Anonymous said...

Becky, thanks for the update!
Gma E

One of Nettie's Girls said...

Praying for a smooth transition from summer to school. Breathe and relax.

Jill said...

I loved catching up with your lives. Sounds like you're doing well. Teaching French sounds exciting!