February Highlights

Apparently, I went on a little hiatus for blogging during the month of February.  As I think back to why exactly, I am not quite sure. It wasn't that February was especially full, although when I look back at the calendar, it is fairly consistent full with small things that add up to full evenings and then it is the weekend and those are always mad dashes to get laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping done, and attempt to not think about school work for at least one day.  We also added Sunday night small groups back in after having much of December and January off. And when you throw in the fact that February is shorter than other months, it really went by quickly.  I can't believe that we are almost finished with the first week of March!  I am taking advantage of two middle of the week snow days to catch up on blogging and Project Life.

So, here are some highlights from February:

1.  Micah was off of nights--
--that schedule is so hard for us--he would leave for work each night by 5:45/6 and then we wouldn't see him until almost 4 the next day when he was waking up.  That is just not a lot of time for the boys with their dad (or me with my husband).  We were thrilled to have him back in the evenings during February and even a few days of vacation for him.

2. Speech Meet!!  
Remember how not so excited I was about William choosing Chicken Little?  To be honest, for much of the weeks leading up to the competition, I was kinda nervous.  He was just not really putting in the time, but somehow that child flipped a switch and worked his little tail off and did amazing:


The actual performance was not quite as enthusiastic. I think the combination of nerves and having to wait almost 45 minutes in complete silence probably helped tone it down and we were so proud of him receiving a Superior rating.  I kept seeing him take really deep breaths and blow them out.  He would look at me and try to mouth something, which I totally could not understand.  When he got in the car that afternoon, he told me that he was trying to tell me how scared he was!


Xavier also did an excellent job in the Bible Memorization category receiving a Superior Rating as well.
And both boys are headed to the district speech meet in April--so we still have a few more weeks of Chicken Little at our house!

3.  Basketball--
It has been a wild ride this first year of playing basketball.  Their little team has struggled--mostly because of lack of practice time and many boys who have never played basketball before.  But....the Derby boys are having a good time.  After one particularly difficult game where our team did not score a single point, I was tucking Xavier into bed and thought I would check in to see how he was doing after the tough loss.  "So, what did you think about the game tonight?"  Xavier: "It was totally awesome."  They had a blast at every practice and every game.  While I would love to see them improve, I figure that having fun is part of the point of 3rd grade basketball.
video
This is a pretty good sample of their games.  William is number 5.

4.  Some snowy days--
Winter weather has been fairly non-existant in Oklahoma this year and while I can sympathize with those who have had snow days ad nauseum, as a teacher, I was kind of hoping for at least a few days. We did have a bit of snow on Presidents' Day that felt not quite as exciting since we were already off of school that day.  But, as luck would have it, we had a snow day on Tuesday.  Then, this past weekend, some snow rolled in on a Friday afternoon canceling a basketball game and that along with William having a stomach bug, Micah working all weekend, gave us a solid weekend of rest.  

Project Life for February:










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Glasses, Jack & Zenie, and Shane & Joy