Five on Friday {June 16, 2017}: Recipes


Here are five recipes that we made this week.  No pictures of the meals, but I promise they did happen!

Summer Berry Picking inspired the first three recipes:
1. Summer Berry Pie:
--this was delicious and I will add the recipe at the bottom.  I will definitely be making this again--maybe next week for a dessert competition fundraiser at church.

2. Blueberry Scones:
--(in honor of my friend Pat who has recently shared her love for scones with me)--we decided these tasted like really good biscuits with blueberries and they were also a hit.

3. PW's French Toast with Blackberry Butter:
--I maybe enjoyed these more than anyone else, but they were also good leftover and toasted in the toaster with some butter spread over them.

4. Alfredo Sausage Pasta
--one of the few recipes that I have 'made' up over the years and it is easy enough and good enough that it makes its way into the rotation fairly regularly.

5.  Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream with Oreos and Chocolate chips:
--I have been wanting an ice cream maker for years and when I saw a sale at Williams Sonoma last week, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one.  This ice cream was a huge hit at our house!

Reflection: Perhaps next time, I should attempt a little more balance in my recipes....four sweet and only one savory.  Ah, the joy of summer!

Summer Berry Pie
(from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook--this is one of my most loved/used cookbooks)

2 cups raspberries (10 oz)
2 cups blackberries (10 oz)
2 cups blueberries (10 oz)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons red currant or apple jelly
1 recipe Graham Cracker Crust, baked and cooled

Gently toss berries together in large bowl.  Puree 2 1/2 cups berries in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute.  (do not underprocess) Strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan, pressing on the seeds to extract as much puree as possible (you should have about 1 1/2 cups).

Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together,  then whisk the mixture  into the puree.  Bring the puree to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, and cook it until it is as thick as pudding, about 7 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and set aside to cool slightly.

Melt the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat, then drizzle over the remaining 3 1/2 cups berries and toss gently to coat.  Pour the slightly cooled puree into the baked, cooled pie crust.  Spread and lightly press the jelly coated berries into the puree. Cover the pie loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and the puree has set, about 3 hours.

My notes on the recipe: we LOVED this! We served it with some of that canned whipped cream and it was a perfect summer-y treat.  Now, it does not look great coming out of the pan--I couldn't get my graham cracker crust to hold together very well.  The next time I make this, I am thinking of making it in a 9x13 or a rectangular pan and just put the crust on the bottom and make it more of bar.  I can't decide if I also should increase the amount of berries that I puree because the berries that were on top are not held together by anything.  I am also contemplating mixing some of the berries with the puree before adding to the pie plate.

Our summer list of activities--I am loving the giant chalkboard in my office.

My berry pickers--blackberries and blueberries--we plan to go back in a week or so and go first thing in the morning

Making ice cream



These boys have played hard and long this afternoon and evening--nothing like nerf wars with your buddies!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This guy

old friends

Africa Album